Monday, June 29, 2009

Bad Drivers and Other Annoying People

I hate bad drivers. Trouble is, now that I live in New Jersey, and can no longer use subways and buses as I did in New York City, I am forced to deal with them on a regular basis. It's compounded that I live in a state where you have to make a "jughandle" turn...and all too often, one doesn't know if the jughandle turn is from the right or the left lane. No wonder people suffer from road rage. Here's (another) list of the biggest offenses that drive me (okay, so it's really only a short putt) crazy:

  1. Passing on the right. Especially when I am in the left lane and traveling at or about 5 miles (my personal maximum) over the speed limit. Are you exempt from the law?
  2. Failure to use a turn signal. Especially when changing lanes. Especially when illegally passing on the right.
  3. Monopolizing the left lane as a travel lane, especially when traveling at speeds LOWER than the posted speed limit. Are you that oblivious to other drivers on the road? Or are you just that self-righteous that you think you can set the appropriate speed limit?
  4. Failure to yield right of way. Especially when it's clearly posted to "Yield". Especially to pedestrians.
  5. Failure to use headlights when windshield wipers are in use.
  6. Texting and talking on cellphones. Period. EVEN with hands free devices, because you're simply not paying attention to driving.
  7. Stopping past the white line...especially into the crosswalk. "Cheating up." Blocking the box. Honking from behind when I refuse to block the box.
  8. Driving in the "lane ends" lane, and speeding up to pass the adjacent lane cars, instead of merging in behind the car that was ahead.
  9. Driving a vehicle that is too large to handle. Yep, that's all you soccer Mom's driving those SUV's that you can't see the four fenders of, and your lack of knowledge in using your mirrors correctly. It goes along with my distaste of conspicuous consumerism. Yes, I see you all in your SUV's at the local Whole Foods. Without your reusable shopping bags.
  10. Thinking simply because you drive a big vehicle, you have right of way.
  11. Straddling lanes, again, because that vehicle you're driving is too big for you to handle.
  12. Not staying in your own lane when turning.
  13. Failure to move into the center lane of the highway when no one is there, thus not allowing entering traffic to merge onto travel lanes.
  14. Bicyclists who do NOT follow vehicular rules. Yes, those rules apply to YOU too! You travel with the flow of traffic, and you follow traffic signals, among other things. But I guess you're the ones turning without using signals, so what can I expect here?
  15. Drivers who are not careful around cyclists, be it bicyclists or motorcyclists.
  16. I know it's rush hour. I know you can't travel several car lengths behind me. Ever hear of the 2 second rule? Make it three if it's just started to rain. And turn your cruise control off.
  17. Road ragers who swear at law abiding citizens because they THINK they have some entitlement to the road over others.
  18. Drivers who are "too nice." A very nice little old man stopped his car in the middle of an intersection to motion me to turn in front of him. I didn't have right of way. He didn't see the car coming from my right that would have hit us both had I proceeded at his request. I am also certain the driver of the car behind him was annoyed that he stopped when he shouldn't have.
  19. Illegal turns. Of any kind. Without using your turn signal. Especially here in Jersey, the home of the "jughandle."
  20. Drivers who don't pull over for emergency vehicles. Or funeral processions. Especially those who use the opportunity to pass everyone who do.

Despite a challenging career in health care, having a newly licensed teenager AND my 81 year old in-laws who both have serious health issues, living with us, not seeing my beloved husband enough (we work different shifts), my blood pressure is NORMALLY lower than that of my peers. But every time I go to the doctor, she wants to start me on antihypertensives. I had to go so far as to monitor my blood pressure at home and at work for a month to prove to her that it's driving to her office that raises my blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment